Monday, July 14, 2008

Musselman ITU Pan American Cup

I came into the race with the knowledge that there were many talented athletes who have had much more training under their belt than I this past year. But I told myself to race with heart. And that is what I did. I finished 7th and tied my best ever finish for an ITU triathlon. Now my attention and focus turns towards the upcoming Loaring Tri this Saturday. It will essentially be a week of almost zero training. I am totally ok with that and can't wait to see the smiles on the faces of the many beginner triathletes when they cross the finish line. My sister and I are very fortunate to have such a fantastic volunteer committee to help with what really is a colossal undertaking. We are also very fortunate to have amazing community support--which have been instrumental in helping to raise over $100 000 for the Elena Loaring Memorial Fund for Breast Cancer Research.

A quick monster thanks to all those who have supported me. This past race was incredibly satisfying to finish where I did when I have so many other more important priorities taking place. My goal of a podium finish at Nationals is still very much alive--and there are still many other races that I want to perform well at this year. I might not be able to train as much as I would like--but I will show up with sharpened elbows (in Kelwona) and many rivals (who are all virtually great friends and former training partners at one point) are going to have to be willing to suffer if they want to beat me.

I suffered incredibly in Saturday's race and I am very very sore today. It was damn hot and the body just wanted to throw in the towel but the mind was bloody stubborn. Props to Yorke on a fantastic 6th place finish (I was second Canadian behind him). Props to Bechtel for being such a biking machine. I presented them with one litre of Crown Royal on Saturday night as a tribute for their blood, sweat, and toil. Although I am secretly wishing that they become alcoholics and stop training and racing so well...

Thanks to my Beautiful Bre, and to Pre for lending me his race wheel. His pre-race email really helped. All he has to do is mention 'ika' and I am ready to release the beast within. Thanks to Coach CT for his perfect training program--designed for a busy scrub--and especially for becoming a father on July 11th!

No comments: