Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bluewater Chase and bound for Camp Borden

Bre, Annika, Mav and I arrived in Sarnia Friday afternoon.  Our hotel was located near Sarnia ribfest!  We played in the park and I was looking forward to racing the next morning.  Although the weather forecast for the race was not ideal, actual race conditions were wonderful.  The lake was glass, the bike was cool and windy, and it was a great temperature for running.  The race adopted a "chase format" two years ago, which see all women head off several minutes ahead of all men.  Unlike the Muskoka Chase Triathlon, where only the elites follow this format, the Sarnia Chase has ALL women go off 16 minutes ahead of the men.  This makes for very exciting racing.  I had a great swim, struggled with the wind on the bike, but then had good running legs.  I was fortunate catch the lead woman at 6k into the run, and finish first across the line.  I love the atmosphere of the Bluewater Tri.  It is a well organized event that offers a warm grass-roots feel.  The post-race spread of food is legendary.

The next morning was the Running From Cancer 5k, 10k and half-marathon.  The original plan was to jog the 10k with Annika in the stroller.  We hit the abort button.  Annika and mommy were exhausted from the previous day.  It would have been another very early morning for them.  I was a bit relieved, as I rarely like to run the day after a triathlon.  I enjoyed supporting the event, and catching up with many friends. 

I also followed the Lake Placid coverage.  Was proud to see solid performances from LPC's Jane MacLeod, and Dennis Masse. 

Tomorrow morning I fly out to Camp Borden for a one-day ExecuTrek Military Tour.  It surely will be an incredible day!  I am bringing the camera and hope to take lots of pics.

No comments: