Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This is what I see as I look into the crystal ball…

A looooong time ago…before I became a passionate tri-geek, I was a passionate football (soccer) player.  Not surprisingly, I closely follow the World Cup.  Here are my arm-chair predictions:

Paraguay and Spain will win today’s matches.  This afternoon’s match is worthy of a final…if Portugal topples Spain…then they are worthy of going the distance.  But Spain’s depth is too good for Portugal on this day.

29-06-2010 9-59-58 AM

Quarters:

Uruguay over Ghana (sorry Africa…say it ain’t so…I am rooting along with you even though I refuse to blow into a vuvuzela)

Brazil over Netherlands in a must-see match.  Two very good teams!  Netherlands has always been my favourite team…and this one could go either way.  Whoever wins this match will make it (but lose) in the final.

Germany over Argentina in a thriller (The Germans upset and get the job done…and Maradona explodes)

Spain steamrolls over Paraguay (with a dazzling display of midfielding prowess)

Semis:

Brazil trumps Uruguay…the Cinderella story comes to an end :(

Spain over Germany…unless it enters a shoot-out..in which case Germany prevails.  But my crystal ball says it won’t go into OT…the Spaniards have too much firepower.

Final:

Brazil versus Spain: The Might Spaniards become the 2010 World Cup Champions!

Chances are extremely high that I am way off…but it will be fun to see how this unfolds…

1 comment:

Andrew Aukema said...

my bracket is a little different when it comes to the semi's:

I'm going to follow suit with Uruguay, Germany, and Spain, but cyrstal ball is reflecting a lot more Oranje then yours: Nederlanders over Brazil.

Semi's: Netherlands score two goals in the first 25 minutes and suck the life out of Uruguay. Germany tops Spain...don't know how, don't know why, don't know by how much...I just think they are getting better every game.

Finals: Netherlands vs. Germany; the battle of the two tallest nations in the world! The Oranje men hang on down to the wire.