Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cobwebs (partly) Removed

This past Sunday was my first competition since the Dec 1st, 2007 Canadian Cross Country Champs. I had built up a ton of cobwebs over the winter and the Caledon Triathlon was successful in removing some of them. In past years I have opened the season much sooner--but this year is much different with the focus being on coaching, and of course the Big Wedding this Saturday! Although I will be The Groom this Saturday, I was relegated to bridesmaid at the Caledon Triathlon with a 2nd overall finish in the 440yard swim (20 yard pool), 15k bike, and 5k run. Nobody could stop Yorke today, he was bloody strong. Not even Pre could stop him. Yorke--you are going down next time my good friend. The race has re-sparked the competitive juices and I will get my vengeance next race :-)

Actually, I am pleased with how it went down. I am swimming really well right now. My time trialing on the bike requires a ton of improvement--something I knew going into the race--and something that was confirmed during the race! I simply have not spent enough time playing in the saddle. I wish I could train more these days--but I have to make the best of my constant time poverty state. I ran well considering it was my first hard run off the bike. I have yet to do a hard brick wkt this year. But the season is very young for me, and while some are smashing it right now--I will be patient and hope to be smashing it soon (and when it counts most).

The Caledon Tri concluded a good week of training. The goal was to have a solid week since next week will be virtually a complete week off of training--with the Big Wedding followed by a short honeymoon in Niagara Falls.

Some good sessions at the PTC were put in the bank last week. Last Tuesday was an awesomely hard group ride with the Speed River Cycling Club. Wednesday was a solid tempo run with a MS of 2x3k hard. Friday was a big day of hurt. We swam at the Swimplex in Waterloo. The MS was 20x100m on 1:20. I averaged 1:09 for the first 10 and then 'had a go' and went as hard as I could and averaged 1:03 for the final 10. Then in the afternoon AD and I had a war in a solid run along the 2k Trillium loop that consisted of a MS of 2k hard, 8x400 fast on 2:00, 2k hard. We were both toast by the end of the set. Coach CT showed no mercy for me on Saturday. Forget the ez pre-race wkt that I was hoping for--instead I did an awesome 85k ride from my house to Milton, up Rattlesnake, up Sixth Line, and then back home. It is my favourite bike loop. I followed that up with a 30min run off the bike and then had a quick snack as I was excited to jet over to the Sharratt's to help Brian put together a new Signet Broil King BBQ. After putting the bbq together--it would have been a sin to not spark it right away. This therefore provided the golden opportunity to consume the perfect pre-race meal: chips and dip and a quarter pound of chocolate fudge for an appetizer. 2 gigantico fully loaded burgers and 3 different salads and 2 pops for the main course. Unfortunately I was too stuffed to indulge in any form of dessert. Now I know that some of my athletes might read this--so all I can say is "do as I say not as I do".

So that is a training update (finally!) T-minus 4 days until the wedding! I am looking forward to making things 'official' and calling my beautiful fiancee, my beautiful wife :-)

No comments: