Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tecumseh physiotherapist predicts Olympic gold for Virtue, Moir

By Bob Duff, The Windsor StarFebruary 22, 2010

Mary Brannagan, who makes her living rubbing people the right way, rubbed her genie’s lamp and called the outcome of Monday’s Olympic ice dancing final before it began.

“You heard it here first,” Brannagan boldly predicted over the telephone from Vancouver. “They’re going to win gold.”

They would be the Canadian tandem of Scott Moir and University of Windsor student Tessa Virtue.

“I’ve been saying that for months,” Brannagan added.

Later in the evening, we'll see if Brannagan’s soothsaying proved accurate.

Moir and Virtue were indeed favoured to be gold medallists and Brannagan had a hand in the outcome.

Both hands, actually.

Brannagan, of Tecumseh’s Loaring Physiotherapy & Health Centre, has been Virtue’s personal physiotherapist since 2005.

In Virtue’s opinion, Brannagan has been so integral to her success that she arranged to have her at her side in Vancouver, even though Brannagan didn’t possess official Olympic accreditation.

“They asked me what I wanted and one of the things I asked for was to have Mary travel with me,” Virtue said in an interview last October.

“She knows my body, she knows what needs to be done to keep me right on top of my game.”

FULL STORY

No comments: