Friday, June 20, 2008

Muskoka Chase Report

The Muskoka Long Course Chase Triathlon is in the books, and in less than 48 hours, there is another toe of the start line. 'The Chase' is a 2k swim, 55k bike, 15k run over a scenic and challenging course, in beautiful Huntsville. It is called 'The Chase' because the elite women depart several minutes ahead of the elite men, with a differential largely determined by the previous year’s spread and the strength of field. This year's differential was determined to be 18minutes--so the elite women were sent 18 minutes before we could begin the chase after them. It makes for an exciting race, a race within a race, where the ultimate goal is to be the first person across the finish line.

The gun finally went off and immediately it was a very fast opening pace that reminded me of an ITU race (thanks to Buddy Green who is a sub-16 minute 1500m swimmer). 4 of us immediately gaped the field but I was having trouble staying on after 1k. I felt a little bit flat and I managed to hang on for the first 1400m. I excited the water in 4th 45 seconds behind. I must have really lost focus to lose that much time in only 600m! I was 1:15 ahead of eventual winner Kyle Guembel and my bro Dave 'Pre' Sharratt. I started the bike feeling good, but then after about 10k I knew I just didn't have the fitness in me to sustain my wattage output for the entire 55k. Kyle and Dave caught me just as I was catching third place, which was just before the half way point of the bike. It appeared as it was now developing into a great race--as we were all putting massive time into the talented ladies. I started to lose a bit of contact and fell off the fast pace being set by Kyle. I settled into my own rhythm and tried not to fall apart on the tough hills on the course. I still have to bring the fitness up!

Misfortune hit at 45k into the bike. My rear tubular flatted! I tried to ride on it for a few hundred meters but the course is so hilly that there was no chance of finishing the bike on the flat. I had no spare. I stood on the side of the road thinking my day was over and wondering how long it might take before a car came by to scoop me up. Fortunately, Karsten Madsen (who was out on a training ride and also serving as a drafting official) road by. What a classy guy he was in immediately offering me his rear wheel! I will admit that thoughts raced through my mind in passing up his offer, as I was discouraged that time had been lost and that I was now out of contention. But those thoughts were immediately replaced with positive vibes and I took his wheel and tempoed the rest of the course. I was happy to be out on the run course instead of feeling sorry for myself if I had dnf'd. I would have liked to have been trying to slug it out for a top-5 finish, but you can't control the uncontrollable. But I did control whether or not I would finish or not! I actually felt quite good on the run and pleased with the entire Muskoka experience. I look forward to doing this race next year, and hopefully the stars will align.

I may not have reached my goal time--but I still fought hard and got to the finish.
Here I am sporting the new LPC threads. I think I need to customize an LPC time trial helmet as mine looks a little like something Ronald McDonald would wear.

Yup, confirmation that I am going to design a new LPC time trial helmet. I want to look sexier than Dave "Pre' Sharratt.

Ladies and gents, David 'Pre' Sharratt. I am shown talking like a monkey in the background to OAT Executive Director Linda Kirk. I think I was trying to get Dave disqualified for his choice of attire.

This Sunday brings anther race and anther battle to be fought. The Subaru Guelph Olympic Tri is on and it should be a solid field toeing the line. It will be nice being able to roll out of my own bed and drive 10mins to compete in one of Canada's largest and most popular races.

No comments: