Friday, April 17, 2009

Random Blabber

The purpose here at the Loaring Chronicles is to provide "random blabber concerning health & fitness, coaching, and family life...onwards and upwards we go..."

So here goes...

Training blabber:

The past week of training at the PTC has gone really well.  I did a fun long bike with Dave this past Saturday.  We rode the "Rattlesnake Loop" from my house.  It is such an awesome 90k loop from Guelph to Milton, up Rattlesnake, down Appleby Line, up Sixth Line, and back home.  I forgot just how steep Rattlenake is!  We tried to keep the effort down as much as possible on this climb without falling over.  After looking at the data from my Quarq CinQo powermeter, it said the climb is 690m long at an average grade of 13.2%.  In my easiest gear, at an average rpm of only 56, I still had to produce 330 watts to get up it.  I have a 25x12 cassette and think I might need to get a 27 tooth cog for Triple-T next month.  Soon I will have a go and see how fast I can ride up Rattlensnake.  Who wants to have a go with me?

CoachCT had us smash a couple of hard back-to-back sessions on Tues and Wed.  I think my fitness is starting to come along, but it still has a loooooong ways to go.  Lots of time.

Coaching blabber:

Team LPC continues to roll along.  7 LPC athletes made it out to the annual Running Factory 100k Group Friday Bike Ride.  I was sad to have missed this ride.  But it is awesome to hear that the ride attracted 67 triathletes/cyclists on what was a chilly and windy day. 

Good Friday Ride 004 Good Friday Ride 014
Pat Hayes and Dennis Masse will be participating in Sunday's Paris to Ancaster Bike Race.

Dawn Van Vlack and Jim Cooke are competing in the Boston Marathon on Monday.  I look forward to viewing the live online coverage.

A huge congrats to Travis Goron for being awarded an academic entrance scholarship to the University of Guelph.  Travis has maintained a 95% average throughout all of high school!  Beginning in September, Travis will be training at the Provincial Triathlon Centre (PTC) while studying Biology at the University of Guelph.

Family blabber:

It was a wonderful Easter Weekend at The Sharratt's.  Once again, Brian and Janet cooked up a wonderful storm of food.  Annika was once again the center of attention.  She just had her ears pierced.  Oh no, it starts now!

Huge monster props to my little bro Dave "Pre" Sharratt for being awarded Conestoga's Male Athlete of Year.  This is the second year in a row Dave has been given this honour.  However, I am even more proud of him for resurrecting his popular blog.

So that is some random blabber from the past week.  No doubt I am missing a few points.  Until next time, onwards and upwards we gooooooooo..........

No comments: