Friday, October 2, 2009

rio2016

For the first time in Olympic history, a South American country will host an Olympic Games.  I am not the least bit surprised that Rio De Janeiro won over powerhouse bids from Madrid, Tokyo, and Chicago.  I am surprised that Chicago was eliminated in the first round.  However, in my opinion, Rio had the strongest bid, and the politics always swayed in favour of Rio and Madrid.  Since it was very unlikely for the IOC to award consecutive Olympics to the same continent, Madrid was considered a dark horse, and Rio was deemed a clear favourite by many.  There is no doubt that the world will be focused on Brazil in 2014 (FIFA World Cup) and 2016 (Games of the XXXI Olympiad).

I spent a week in Rio in 2004, where I competed in the Rio World Cup Triathlon.  Of all the amazing cities that I have visited over the years, Rio De Janeiro might be at the very top of the list.  The culture, beaches, and churrascaria buffets, are simply spectacular.

No comments: